The baptistery of the Arians, memory of the different Christian faith of the Goths, the complex of S. Vitale and the mausoleum of Galla Placidia, the Cathedral with the baptistery of the Orthodox (ie the Catholics) and the ivory chair of Massimiano in the Archiepiscopal Museum are the three corners of the route in the western district of the city, which moves from Piazza del Popolo.
Piazza del Popolo. The city center has two Venetian columns (1483) and the fifteenth-century municipal palace rebuilt in 1681, with on the left the Venetian palace with a portico (1444), from the columns with capitals of the century. VI, which bear the monogram of Theodoric.
Baptistery of the Arians. Octagonal construction probably of the principle of the century. VI, with a contemporary mosaic dome. Next, the church of the Holy Spirit, from the end of the century. V, Arian cathedral at the time of Theodoric passed in the sec. VI to the catholic cult, remodeled in the sec. XVI and restored.
S. Vitale. ** Begun in 526, consecrated in 547-548 by the bishop Massimiano, the basilica is among the highest Paleochristian testimonies. the interior * strikes for originality of structure, wealth of marble and mosaics; the central space is covered by a dome, with pictorial decoration of 1780; between the pillars we curate seven exedra pierced by two orders of small arches. From an archway the presbytery is extended, the most precious part of the monument for the mosaics * that cover the walls, executed in the second quarter of the century. V is still classic, while two lower squares in the apse (Justinian and his parade *, on the left, Teodora and his parade *, on the right) present formal stylizations typical of Byzantine art. At the center of the presbytery, the altar, of the century. VI, with the table formed by a slab of transparent alabaster *.
Mausoleum of Galla Placidia. ** Greek cross chapel, built around the middle of the century V perhaps from Galla Placidia for his tomb. The interior is decorated with mosaics ** prior to 450, probably the oldest in the city; in the arms of the cross, three ancient sarcophagi, one considered to be the sepulcher of Galla Placidia (who was buried in Rome).
National Museum *. It has heterogeneous collections gathered around a nucleus of the early 1700s due to the Camaldolese Pietro Canneti and is notable for the Roman and early Christian material (transenna of S. Vitale *, Byzantine relief with Hercules and the deer *); ordered around three cloisters, two Renaissance, the third baroque, of the Benedictine monastery adjoining S. Vitale, includes collections of fabrics (veil of Classe *, embroidered band of the VIII-IX century), ivories, icons, paintings (fragments of Crucifix and saints * by Paolo Veneziano), ceramics and majolica, coins, finds from the restorations of S. Apollinare in Classe and two necropolises.
Duomo. The Ursiana Basilica, from the beginning of the century V, demolished in 1733, has been replaced by the current baroque building, completed in 1745; on the left there is the cylindrical bell tower of the century. X (restored); inside, at the end of the median nave, the ambone * of Archbishop Agnello (second half of the sixth century); in the left transept the chapel of the SS. Sacramento, built by Carlo Maderno (1612), decorated with frescoes by Guido Reni and disciples (1620).
Neonian Baptistery. ** Also called the Orthodox, it was probably started in the first decades of the century. V and completed with the mosaic decoration under the bishop Neone shortly after 450. Inside, two orders of arcades leaning against the walls support the dome covered with mosaics **; baptismal font of the 1500s.
Archiepiscopal museum. * Behind the Cathedral, in the Archbishop’s Palace, it collects materials from the ancient cathedral and other religious buildings including a headless statue in porphyry perhaps of Justinian *. In the Oratory of S. Andrea, mosaics * from the beginning of the century. YOU; inside the Salustra tower is the Massimiano ** chair, ivory work of the century VI.